Thursday, February 5, 2009

OK, Mr. Oil Executive... I'll Buy Some Gas

My wife and I own two vehicles. She drives a 1998 Malibu and I have a 1999 S-10 pickup. We're not exactly the Joneses.

Since I started bike commuting last summer, I've found that I rarely drive the truck. It's useful for bringing home big things from the hardware store. Also, I bike or bus/bike home on Thursdays in time to pick up and deliver my daughter to her after-school drama classes. Other than that, it mostly sits in the driveway.

Every week I look at the fuel gauge to see how much is there, and this Saturday, while taking my daughter to a friend's birthday party, I noticed that it was getting darn close to "E."

As I filled the tank, I tried to recall the last time I had put gasoline into the tank. The best I could come up with was in November. Depending on when in November, it could be that I'd gone at least two months, and maybe almost three months without paying the Gas Man.

The price of a gallon of gasoline is much less than when I started bike commuting, but it still hurts to fork over $27.42 cents for my 15 and a half gallons of petrol. In bike terms, this could be a single pedal, a jersey, a pannier, some really nice socks, most of a helmet, gloves, lights, or several burritos (my favorite).

I expect the price of gasoline to go back up this Summer, so when it does, the savings from bike commuting will be even greater.

3 comments:

Biker Bob/Runner Bob said...

Well done. I noticed that gas prices are already trending upwards again. My guess is $2.50 by then end of April and topping out close to $5.00 this summer.

brady said...

It's people like you who are causing the economy to contract.

November?! Awesome!

Scott Redd said...

I personally take credit for reducing the price of gasoline. When I started, it was almost $4 a gallon. Now it's around $1.70.

Simple supply and demand. :)