Why not cycle to work when it's this cold?
Here is a list of things that helped cinch my decision to bike to work for my five mile commute:
- Son's car is behind my truck in the driveway. Have you ever tried to rouse a sleeping teenager and ask him to do something that doesn't directly benefit him?
- I'd have to wait for truck to warm up
- I park about a half-mile from work, walk to office would have been bitterly cold in dress pants and shoes
- If I rode the bus, I'd have to walk to stop
- If I rode the bus, I'd have to wait for bus
I deliberately chose a route that would give me some visibility if I were to pass out or fall and hit my head. It wouldn't take long for an unconscious person to freeze to death in this kind of weather along a seldom used trail like the Field Club Trail.
My balaclava was encrusted with ice when I parked my bike at the front door of my office. I should have snapped a photo, but I just wanted to get inside at the time.
This cold weather riding is fun, but I'll be glad when Spring comes and I don't need to bring an extra empty pannier with me just to carry my extra gear to my desk.