Shame on me... I could have cycled to work today, but I didn't. When I woke up early this morning, it was raining. It was more than a gentle rain, but not a deluge. By the time I showered and dressed, the rain had stopped. I did ride the bus, at least, so I still didn't have to worry about the drive and parking. When my bus got downtown, the rain had picked back up again, so I probably would have gotten wet had I cycled in.
"I don't mind getting wet in the rain," is what I've always told myself. But normally when I have that thought, I'm imagining June or July. This unseasonably cool September chill would have been very cold in the rain.
Being a new bike commuter, I'm still working out all these issues. I'll need to figure out what kind of rain gear works best for me.
Here's a list of what I think I need:
- Rain jacket, cape, poncho, etc. What works best for cycling?
- Rain pants. Again, any ideas on the best for cycling?
- Neoprene booties to keep shoes and feet dry
- Neoprene gloves
- Something for my head
- Rain jacket with hood?
- Shower cap over helmet?
- Forgo the helmet and wear a rain cap, in the style of the trustworthy Gordon's Fisherman?
- Make or buy a rain cover for my pannier, as I'm not sure if it's waterproof.